Your rheumatologist in Haddon Heights, NJ, can help you manage psoriasis
Psoriasis can be uncomfortable and embarrassing. It can make you want to cover up your beautiful skin. If you suffer from psoriasis, you will be glad to know your rheumatologist is an expert at treatment and management of the condition and can offer you relief.
Dr. Mark Fisher in Haddon, Heights, NJ, offers comprehensive diagnosis and treatment of rheumatology conditions, including psoriasis. He proudly serves residents of Haddon Heights, South Jersey, Gloucester County, and Camden County, NJ.
Psoriasis is a genetic autoimmune condition which causes your body to produce too many skin cells too quickly. The result is scaly, itchy patches of skin which can develop on your scalp, elbows, knees, and other areas.
Psoriasis is classified by severity, according to how much of your body is involved:
- Mild psoriasis–which affects less than 3% of your body
- Moderate psoriasis–which affects 3% to 10% of your body
- Severe psoriasis–which affects over 10% of your body
If you are troubled by psoriasis, your rheumatologist offers several treatment options to help you get relief, including:
- Topical steroid creams or ointments to relieve itching and inflammation
- Prescription strength antihistamines to reduce itching
- Injectable biologic agents given by self-infection or IV injection by your rheumatologist to suppress an overactive immune system
- Light therapy from your rheumatologist or dermatologist to fade psoriasis patches
Lifestyle modification can also help relieve psoriasis symptoms. Consider:
- Avoiding dry or cold environments
- Limiting alcohol consumption
- Stopping smoking
- Protecting your skin from injury
- Applying sunscreen to prevent sunburn
- Practicing stress reduction techniques to help limit breakouts
How You Can Learn More About Relief and Treatment of Psoriasis
You can learn to live well with psoriasis, and your rheumatologist can help. Call Dr. Mark Fisher in Haddon, Heights, NJ, serving residents of Haddon Heights, South Jersey, Gloucester County, and Camden County, NJ. You can reach him in the office by calling (856) 547-8004, so call today.